Follow Me on Pinterest

tag

Friday 13 June 2014

honest moments...

These are the days… the ones where things come together, moments collide, software works and computers behave themselves!! grrrrr…. I received notification today that a work of mine was gifted and you may remember a little thing called the blogger show curated by Meredith of Whynot Pottery it was a show that brought so many of us ceramists/potters together in North Carolina USA.

The work that I was creating at the time was very much driven by a desire to see beyond the kitchen table. Although the works I make are so often beyond function I desired to create something that was so far from utilitarian that it repelled the notion of function and became a landscape in and of it's own right. Early settlers painted imagery of Australia are so steeped in our artistic cultural heritage but not made of clay. Any of you who know me are well aware of my stance on our medium of choice and it's perception in our contemporary culture.

I started to create a flat body of work, a series of wall tile palques that were accessible to contemporary culture and representative of the media, abstract in form and loose in creation. 2D and 3D by nature.

This imagery is well embedded in my psych and I feel compelled by my surrounding to continue it's exploration. Given the abundance of local clay and iron content this subject nature could keep me obsessed for a lifetime.

and head on over to the frogpond for this sundays splash...

The work… 'Hills Edge' … It is one of a series of tiles symbolising the natural landscape of our City's eastern region, the beautiful Adelaide foot hills. 

 A gift by the city of tea tree gully to Mirioko Chuo High School in Japan, it is a great honour that my work would be selected to gift to our (city of tea tree gully) sister city delegation on their visit last month… photography by Derek McClure Photography



11 comments:

  1. Good news for you! I was just having some time with my tile that you made. Looking and thinking about the show and the wonders of friendships that were made. Life is full of surprises if you just put yourself out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ab fab M! thankyou so much for the amazing job that you did, we will never know how much and thankyou for connecting so many of us, clay friends that will last a lifetime xx

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pottery Pals! Congrats Ang. That seems a great honor! And, yes, thank you Meredith for putting us all together. Feeling grateful for all of the connections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good! And amazing company for years..thanks for the chat patricia

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. ;) cheers judi...these are the moments what! Hope you are enjoying yours too!!

      Delete
  5. Oh how lovely to have your work chosen. I had a visiting potter come up to my home studio on the weekend and he saw some of my work and said, "this is here, your landscape is in your work." I was inordinately pleased with his observation because so many people miss it, or do not comment on it. I caught a train once from Melbourne to Adelaide and the flatness of the landscape was very foreign and a bit creepy, I felt comforted when we reached the Adelaide hills, safer. Thanks for joining in Ang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it! Its like walking into a Monet painting ..yes... Living in the landscape and totally being at home :)

      Delete
  6. Just catching up! Congrats on the gifted piece, what a great honor! That blogger show was an amazing event, let's do it again!

    ReplyDelete