Follow Me on Pinterest

tag

Wednesday 1 September 2010

the good, the bad and the ugly...


well that needs a little explanation... more good than bad going on in the studio and in the kiln!!

 

the teapots have taken me longer than usual this time and luckily its been so cold and wet that they are still workable.. the smaller ones are spouted and the lids ready to trim, that's on todays list after I pack up a box to send over to Pauls place at Barrington where apparently wheel barrow races were the thing last wkd..

  

the local clay mix survived the bisque no dramas at all and I've decided to put them straight into a gas firing c9 with extra shelf bits underneath in case of melt down.. 



Ahh the muggage some super large handles as per request form the Urban Cow Studio in town...prob the largest handles I've ever made!! with some printed animalia ooh and some knaves knees..
The jug below is my fav along with another mug that has all runny bits in the glaze...mmm


 

and what would one of my tile firings be without some cracks right through the centre of 2 big tiles.. on looking closely at the clay body it's much finer than the BRT so next test will be to add some grog and see if i can still use this body... I do like the white slip on it but if it doesn't comply out she goes!!

 

and quite possibly the ugliest of all wart mug!!
I'm thinking either the clay is too fresh and maybe i'll try pugging some to see if it improves, it doesn't happen on every piece but it is frustrating..
anyhoo off to get to the studio and post office today, we'll see what the damage is...Ha!

16 comments:

  1. Yummy green color! Blog looks nice,changed a bit hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey trace shocking pics i took them last night..but the green is yum..cheers,, good on blogger for giving us some new tools to play with :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea, more knave knees!... mugs and teapots lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of work going on there! I like the 'crustiness' of that local clay. Hope they survive the gas kiln!

    Too bad about the crack on your tile -- I hope grog helps it. Yes - luscious green mugs . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. good evening patricia...bring on the knees then I have multiple screens now so more prints will follow :))

    hey judy, we'll see how the pure local goes with the glaze fire I think the 50/50 combo blend will be rather nice it feels good to work with.. mmm again its the fav ones that crack with the tiles, but I will give it another try...cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like quite a variety that came out of the kiln -soooo sad about that TILE!! It was beautiful -that crack would have mede me cry :o( Loving your teapots and that green glaze :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wondered about mounting and using some grog with cracked tiles- might be interesting- love those yummy green mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pity these tiles cracked, this one on the picture was my favorite. I also like the idea of using local clay as a slip. Green mugs are lovely! I'm waiting for this c9 with local clay..cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey cindy, more pieces for my garden then i'll just glue them back together should make a nice outdoor wall display..:))

    hey meredith, grog is usually the solution.. i think the mix of the white body is just too fine for the size of the large tiles... will get back to it later for now some orders to get on with..

    hi ryszard thanks for commenting, yeh it was a nice one that cracked now i'll get to see the piece in my garden :)) yep c9 soon too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry to see that lovely tile cracked... hope you get that worked out with the grog addition. i love the muggage, go knaves knees

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey jim that should be the solution pity i had 4 tiles crack before i thought of it though..mmm and bring on a pug mill me thinks never had some much bubbling in my work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOu could use the tops of those teapots to make Swedish pamcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see what the local clay does in the gas kiln. I'm about ready to try my local slip, must put it on a tray or something. Love the big handled mugs, not everyone has a small hand. Strange about the warts, must be some impurity in the clay perhaps.

    In my classroom days one guy always took his clay and sprinkled grog into it when he wedged it, maybe he knew something, even the freshly bought clay which was Rod's mix which I thought definitely had enough grog in it already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ang,
    Ohh the many frustrations of clay!! Fun though isn't it!

    Laura found me a really great book at our local library, it is "A Potter's Pilgrimage" by Milton Moon. It was only published this year, so is very new. I remember you posted a short video once of Milton Moon demonstrating somewhere. Anyway, the book is wonderful, and it is most interesting reading about his life as a potter in your part of the world, and about his travels overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey linda it will be just a little while longer, work is busy at the mo and a few commission pieces should go in the next c9 firing and i haven't made them yet :S
    I did find when adding the local raw clay to my usual mix that the clay felt amazing so maybe grog is the answer or sand...

    hiya peter, indeed so frustrating i did wonder if my right arm with tennis elbow at the mo was causing the grief with the bubbles and i've yet to pug some clay and see if that helps... ahh brilliant, Milton has written quite a few books and was a pleasure to meet he's up in the hills somewhere nearby :))

    ReplyDelete