Follow Me on Pinterest

tag

Wednesday 9 August 2017

Ash Glazing...


It's been a while since I did some new Ash Glaze tests and with a break in regular making, SALA seemed like as good a time as any. So with a gas firing pending for Mugs Day in Stirling, I set to mixing up some simple variations with materials at hand... the smoothest piece is the most complex glaze derived from a Phil Rogers recipe I had scribbled down in one of my journals... So there are 4 samples here which I then applied to some larger vase like forms... The clay is a mixture of stoneware bodies with a fine grog addition and a ball clay slip brushed on at leather hard stage, during which some surface texture was added by drawing into the clay with a pencil. 

The glazes are simple combos of feldspar and clay and ash straight out of the fireplace, no washing or sieving of the ash and no colourants added, the green colour is straight from the natural ash. The wood burnt would have been local fruit tree, plum, apple and some redwood plus some pine.

So there you have it...now to mix them again and test again!

Thanks for dropping by and reading notes from my glaze journal July 2017...

Join me on instagram and facebook.


 






5 comments:

  1. Nice work Ang.
    Love that turquoise glassy rim around the bottom of the first one.
    Sadhana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Cheers Sadhana, it's the most complex recipe and very smooth on application too, I think it would be quite functional 😀

      Delete
  2. I am not always a big fan of ash glazes but these really kick ads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey smarts, I know they are tricky glazes...think I have a good wood ash combo 😆

      Delete