Saturday, 17 April 2010
so here we have it the analytical look at this weeks pots and more things to test really..I wanted to firstly speed up my firing and that was accomplished. I put the pilots on a quarter flow and left the firing for 3 hours to really warm up the kiln and the rest is pretty quick for me.. I would say that it is this part that was crucial in getting to temp with good timing i pushed the dampers in an inch about 3.30pm and cone 6 was down about 5pm at which point i started to add the redgum chips a couple every half hour to see if upping the fuel would assist the firing, at 7.30 i put in the last pine chips and then opened up the dampers for 1 hour to oxidize the kiln..
From making these changes the firing was faster and only the rear half of the kiln had the stunning red colour.. So i think next firing i'll follow the same grid and open up the dampers for 15min on each hour and see if i can bring back some colour to the front of the kiln.. If you have any tips please comment as all this is still testing to get the best out of my kiln..
Enjoy the vid and chat soon...cheers all, happy week with your hands in clay..