I just read this on Jean's - art it blog and it reminded me of a similar list I read years ago about pottery on Chris Barnes original site when he was at the chocolate factory in UK.. it makes me chuckle because these lists are so true.. I must dig that one up and post it, i remember it being quite extensive..
HOW TO FEEL MISERABLE AS AN ARTIST
This list courtesy of Keri Smith
1. Constantly compare yourself to other artists.
2. Talk to your family about what you do and expect them to cheer you on.
3. Base the Success of your entire career on one project.
4. Stick with what you know.
5. Undervalue your expertise.
6. Let money dictate what you do.
7. Bow to societal pressures.
8. Only do work that your family would love.
9. Do whatever the client/customer/gallery owner/patron/investor asks.
10. Set unachievable/overwhelming goals to be accomplished by tomorrow.